Sunday, August 7, 2016

I should write a book!

You have no idea how many people, when they find out I'm a writer, tell me, "I should write my life story. That's a book right there."

Honestly...I'd have to say it's most of them.

I smile, and nod, and say, "I'll bet," but inside I'm thinking, why don't you, and everyone's life is a story, you know and, sadly, oh my gosh, another one who thinks they're so interesting everyone else would want to know all about it.

Although I only think that when I'm feeling cranky or depressed. Because really--yes--everyone's life has the potential to be interesting. They don't even have to be famous people, or have done anything unusual. Think about the diaries kept by pioneer women as their families made their way across the country, a few centuries or so ago. Or letters kept by men and women during world wars. Or even blogs, like this. Fascinating stuff, the bits and pieces of one's daily life, for future generations.

One thing I really enjoy reading is gravestone markers and obituaries. Now don't go all oogy on me; there's some awesome stuff there. Some stones themselves are works of art; especially in cemeteries from the Victorian era. (In fact, I think I'll do some picture taking and story finding in future blog posts...maybe this fall. I love walking through cemeteries when there are bright yellow and red leaves crunching underfoot and the air smells crisp and full of change. So stay tuned for that.) And in some colonial-era cemeteries, there are poems, Bible verses, and even telling pieces of the owner's life story carved into the stones. Lost at sea is a common one here in Rhode Island. There's one stone in Cumberland that tells about the person's last moments, drowning in a mill pond. Things like that make me think of those left behind, mourning, wishing to hold onto a piece of their loved one by telling their story, showing their significance, and how much they were loved.I think I'm going to use this when I decide to write "the big book". Kinda sorta. I'll change things, of course, but the idea of it is just delicious. Imagine being either woman and NOT knowing about the other? Talk about a twist in your life's journey. 

At any rate, I think this is why I was particularly intrigued by the following story. You'll have to click on the URL for the details, but it caused a story to start spinning. http://www.littlethings.com/two-obituaries-leroy-blast-bill/?utm_source=shemarm&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=obits


No comments:

Post a Comment